Mon-Thurs 8:00 to 4:00
PHONE # 218-384-3680
FAX # 218-384-3700
PO Box 157
Wrenshall, MN 55797
400 Alcohol Rd
We are located at the BACK of the Fire Hall,
on the corner of Alcohol Road and County Rd 1 (Broadway)
1ST Wednesday of each month
See Meeting Dates Page for specific dates
The meeting time has changed from 7:00 to 5:30 pm.
The City of Wrenshall was incorporated as a village in 1926. It was named after Charles Christopher Wrenshall, a Northern Pacific engineer. In the late 1800s, Wrenshall supervised building the railroad branch line from Carlton, Minnesota to Superior, Wisconsin. As was customary at the time the Northern Pacific named one of the new depot locations along this line in his honor.
The City of Wrenshall was actually started by Frederick Jacob Habhegger and his family of nine children. Habhegger was born on December 3, 1836. He was born in Switzerland and immigrated to America with his parents and eleven brothers and sisters in 1853. Habhegger learned the brick making trade while living in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The promise of good clay brought him north. In 1887 Habhegger bought 160 acres of land where Wrenshall is now located.
A brickyard was started and soon Habhegger's bricks were in great demand. He expanded his business over the next 20 years shipping bricks all over the United States. At its peak the brickyard produced approximately four million bricks/year and employed 35 men. A number of buildings in the city including the First Presbyterian Church and the Brickyard Restaurant are made from bricks from this first brickyard. At one time there were as many as six brickyards operating along the Northern Pacific corridor in this area all within a one mile radius. The last bricks were produced in Wrenshall in 1954.